The NFL Playoffs are in full swing as we head into next weekend and the final four remain including the Pats. Kappy’s Fine Wine & Spirits is your go-to for all of your game day beer, wine and spirits.
Here are some Boston-inspired recipes to make your game day a winner. These recipes and ideas are suitable for all of us townies (whether you are cheering on the Pats – or not…) and not only will they be the down you need to secure the win, but it could be the Hail Mary that will secure your place as THAT person who hosts the BEST Playoff and Super Bowl parties.
BOSTONIAN SNACK: Make 1-2 bags of plain popcorn. Then in a small saucepan, melt 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter. Take off the heat and whisk in ½ cup pure maple syrup. Put popcorn a large bowl and drizzle maple butter sauce over it, tossing to coat it thoroughly. While still warm, add in finely chopped bacon or top with a pinch of sea salt. Let cool a little before serving.
Allergy friendly: In a large pot, scoop in 3 tablespoons of Non-GMO popping corn kernels with 1 tablespoon of oil (olive oil, canola, whichever you prefer) making sure each kernel is covered in oil. Cover pan with a lid just slightly open to allow steam to exit. Keeping it almost completely covered, turn the stove on high heat and watch the popcorn pop. Take off heat when popping slows down.
In a separate, small sauce pan, melt 1 stick or ½ cup dairy free butter substitute (any that is solid at room temperature), take off heat, whisk in ½ cup pure maple syrup. Drizzle over popcorn, tossing to coat completely. Top with finely chopped allergy-friendly bacon or sea salt. Let cool a little before serving.
STEAMING THE CLAMS:
• 1/4 cup water
• 1/2 cup chicken broth
• 6 cloves garlic crushed
• 2 lbs. fresh, live clams (scrubbed clean)
• 6 slices thick cut bacon, diced
• 1 cup onions, finely diced
• 1 cup celery, finely diced
• 1 cup leeks, finely sliced
• 4 Tbsp all-purpose flour
• 3 cups red potatoes, diced
• 3 cups chicken broth or stock
• 3/4 cup clam juice (bottled is fine)
• 1 1/2 Tbsp kosher salt
• 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
• 3/4 Tbsp dried thyme
• 4 bay leaves
• 1 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
• 3/4 cup steamed clams, chopped
• 1 quart half and half (4 cups)
STEAM THE CLAMS:
• Scrub your clams to get rid of any grit, set aside.
• Bring your water, chicken broth and garlic to a boil. Add your clams, cover, and steam until they open up (around 6-7 minutes).
• If one or two clams don’t open up, toss those, they’re not good. Drain your clams, scoop out the meat and chop.
• Over MED-LOW heat, add a small drizzle of olive oil to the bottom of a large dutch oven. Add bacon pieces and cook until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon (or tongs) to a paper towel lined plate, reserving drippings in pot.
• Increase heat to MED and add onion, celery and leeks and sauté about 3-4 minutes, until soft. Add flour and stir to coat vegetables. Cook 1 minute.
• Add potatoes, chicken broth, clam juice, salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaves, and tabasco sauce. Stir well, then bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover, simmering about 15 minutes or so, until potatoes are fork tender.
• Add half and half to chowder, along with the chopped clams, and stir well to combine.
• Increase heat to MED and cook, stirring often, about 3-5 minutes, or until heated through and thickened to desired consistency.
• Taste and add salt and pepper if needed. Serve with cooked bacon and enjoy!
Keep warm in a crock pot.
CLASSIC ITALIAN SUB
• French bread sliced lengthwise
• Olive oil & vinegar
• Lettuce leaves
• Tomato sliced thin
• Red onion, thinly sliced and placed as rings
• Genoa Salami
• Provolone Cheese sliced in half
• Salt & pepper
• Red Pepper Flakes
Take French bread and slice lengthwise. Drizzle oil and vinegar on the bottom slice and top with ingredients above, layering each one. Drizzle a hint of oil, vinegar, salt and pepper over the top layer of ingredients. Drizzle oil and vinegar on the top slice. Place the top slice over the top layer of ingredients. Cut into slices. Have red pepper flakes available on the side.
Classic Nestle Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Cookies
• 2 ½ cup flour
• 2 eggs
• 1 tsp baking soda
• ¾ cup sugar
• ¾ cup brown sugar
• 1 cup butter softened
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 2 cups chocolate chips
• Preheat oven: 375 degrees
• Put butter in a small bowl and microwave until softened (20-45 seconds). Put all ingredients listed EXCEPT chocolate chips in a large bowl. Stir thoroughly. Lastly, add chocolate chips and stir.
• Option 1: Get a cookie sheet and spray with non-stick spray. Pour batter onto pan and spread evenly. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick or knife. It is done when it comes out clean. Let cookies cool. Then cut into squares and serve.
• Option 2: Get a cookie sheet, spray with non-stick spray. Drop batter in small balls onto cookie sheet to make individual cookies (versus a sheet). Cook until done (check bottom of cookies for a slightly browned color. Let cool and serve.
• Allergy Friendly: All substitutes are in equal parts. Substitute melted butter for a melted butter substitute (that is allergy friendly and solid at room temperature). Substitute eggs with egg replacer in equal quantities. Substitute flour with brown rice flour or gluten free all-purpose flour (or a mixture of both ½ and ½ ). Substitute chocolate chips with allergy free chocolate chips – now available at most supermarkets in the organic section or in the baking section.
• 1 1/2 cup(s) FLOUR or gluten free all-purpose flour or Brown Rice Flour
• 1 teaspoon(s) baking soda (if gluten free add an additional ½ tsp baking soda)
• 1/2 cup canola oil
• ¾ – 1 cup(s) sugar
• 2 large eggs or egg replacer
• 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
• 3/4 cup(s) MILK, or rice, soy, almond or coconut milk
• Frosting – premade – many are allergy friendly, read ingredients.
Add food coloring to these vanilla cupcakes to make them team friendly. Topping with small decorative footballs or color sprinkles. For example; New England Patriots fans – add blue food coloring for blue cupcakes, top with white vanilla frosting and red sprinkles.
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
• Combine all wet ingredients in a small bowl. Combine all dry ingredients in a separate, medium size bowl. Next combine wet ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl. Whisking together until batter is smooth.
• Prepare a: muffin/cupcake pan, put cupcake cups in each cup then. spoon or pour mix into cupcake cups. Cook until toothpick (or butter knife) inserted, comes out clean.
• Let cake/cupcakes cool, frost, decorate, then serve!
• Note: to make chocolate cupcakes simply add ¼ cup chocolate cocoa powder to batter above.*
• 2 (12-ounce) bottles your favorite beer, chilled
• 1/2 cup frozen concentrate limeade, thawed
• 1/2 cup chilled Los Rijos Blanco
• Ice cubes
Directions: Pour beer, limeade and tequila into a pitcher, mix. Pour into glasses. Optional: Before pouring into glasses, dip glasses in lime juice with salt to coat the rim. Garnish with a lime wedge.
• 1 1/2 cups white grape juice
• 1 cup 1941 Vodka
• 1 cup seedless grapes, halved
• 1 crisp red apple, quartered, cored and sliced 1/4-inch thick
• 1 orange, quartered and sliced
• Five 12-ounce bottles wheat beer, well chilled
Directions: Pour all contents (except beer) into a pitcher together. Let chill for at least an hour before serving. Then fill glasses half way with mixture and fill the rest with beer. Serve. Garnish with apple slices.
Old Fashioned Hurricane
• 4 ounces fresh squeezed orange juice
• 2 ounces agave nectar
• 2 ounces Ron Virgin Dark Rum
• 1 ounce Ron Virgin Silver Rum
• 1 ounce orange liqueur
• 6 dashes bitters
• Garnish with orange slices.
Directions: Fill a shaker and 2 highball glasses with ice. Add the orange juice, agave, both rums, the liqueur and bitter. Shake, then pour into the highball glasses. Garnish with orange slices
• 1/4 ounce Cafe Bueno Coffee Liqueur
• 1/2 ounce Ron Virgin Dark Rum
• 1/4 ounce RonDiaz Coconut Rum
• juice of half a lemon
• 4 ounces of pineapple juice
• Garnish with a strawberry or cherry
Directions: Fill glass with crushed ice. Pour all ingredients into the glass together, stir. Garnish with a strawberry or cherry
Let us know what cocktails and recipes you are using for your Playoffs and Super Bowl Parties. Tag us! #Kappys