With spring in full swing, you might be searching for some great baking recipes. But what do you do when you have a friend or family member who has food allergies or sensitivities? In this blog post, we are going to share a recipe that can be made allergen free, along with some tips from on how to alter recipes you already have. In addition, we are going to give you a great wine pairing that will completely compliment your delightful baked good.
Let’s get started with a few tips on altering recipes:
For most baked goods like cakes, pies, muffins and cookies, you can substitute flour 1:1 for brown rice flour, gluten free all-purpose flour or a mixture of the two. You can also substitute milk in cakes and muffins for almond milk, rice milk, or soy milk in equal parts. Some of oil in a recipe can be substituted with unsweetened applesauce or another fruit puree. Eggs can be substituted with a commercial egg substitute or with a homemade egg replacer like flaxseed (or chia seed) in water. Put 1 tbsp of ground flaxseed or chia seeds in a cup with 3 tbsp warm water, let sit for 30 minutes until it becomes gelatinous, then you will use this mixture 1:1.
Recipe: Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Coffee Cake Ingredients:
• 2 cups brown rice flour
• 1 cup sugar
• ¼ cup light brown sugar
• 1 cup rice milk
• 2 teaspoons baking soda
• 2/3 cup oil (or ½ cup oil plus ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce)
• 1 ½ tablespoons vanilla extract
• 2 heaping tablespoons ground cinnamon
• 2 large eggs plus 1 egg white or vegan egg replacer for 3 eggs
• ½ – ¾ cup light brown sugar
• 1/4 cup oil
• 2 tablespoons brown rice flour
• 1 heaping tablespoon ground cinnamon
• *Crumble should be just moist, not too oily.*
• Preheat oven to: 365 degrees.
• Combine all wet ingredients together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients together. Then combine wet and dry ingredients together in one bowl. Blend well until mix is smooth. It isn’t going to be very dense because it is gluten free but it will bake well. Pour mix (without crumble) into a cake pan. While it bakes, put the crumble together in a small bowl. Bake 12-15 minutes for a bunt pan (bake halfway).
• After the cake is half baked take it out and drop little teaspoons of crumble around the partially baked cake. Then put the cake back in the oven to bake for the remainder of the time (about an additional 10-15 minutes).
• This recipe can also be made as coffee cupcakes/muffins. On average the bake time is 20 minutes at 365 degrees.
• Bake until butter knife or toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool completely before serving.
Coffee Cake Wine Pairing:
Kappy’s Fine Wine & Spirits has a large selection of wines and spirits to choose from, so we asked our experts which wine would pair best with coffee cake. They agreed that either the Gancia Asti or the Moscato d’Asti would both pair nicely with this great dessert.
You can pick up these wines and much more at all Kappy’s Fine Wine & Spirits.
Jess is a valuable member of the Kappy’s family and has been gluten free and dairy free (and limiting soy, eggs, etc) for 10 years and enjoys sharing her experiences and recipes. If you have questions about recipe altering, feel free to reach out to Jess via email @ email@example.com.