Valentine’s Day is approaching and there is no better day to celebrate love. No matter your relationship status, Valentine’s Day affords us a day to acknowledge the love that is around us and gives us the opportunity to embrace and celebrate it.
Because we love Valentine’s Day here at Kappy’s Fine Wine & Spirits, here’s some advice on picking the perfect bottle of bubbly, along with a few other helpful tips & recipes to make your Valentine’s Day the best yet.
Selecting the perfect bottle of sparkling wine or champagne can be stressful. But the key to successful Valentine’s Day drinking is no different than it is the other 364 days of the year.
Valentine’s Day practically demands to be celebrated with sparkling wine. Whether it’s Champagne, Prosecco, Cava, or something else, there are fantastic options from all over the world. And they don’t have to break the bank, either.
From Italy comes the very popular and easy to drink Prosecco, which is best known for budget-friendly bottlings. One of our highlights is Gancia Prosecco with its intense fruit: hint of golden apples and stone fruits makes this a delicious alternative to more expensive sparklers.
From Spain – Cava is hot. Cava is about much more than inexpensive bubbly—the best bottlings are serious wines in their own right, worthy of attention and respect. Palacio de Palau Cava is one of our favorite Cavas with ripe flavors of apple, pears and a hint of of citrus on the crisp and balanced finish. Palacio de Palau also offers a solid Rosé Cava if you would like to add a little pink to your Valentine’s Day celebration. Youthful and fruity aromas of strawberry, red currant, and pomegranate and a soft finish all make for a fantastic pour.
For the traditionalists who want to hear the pop of true French Champagne, fear not! You still don’t have to break the bank. Demonstrating willingness and boldness, Octave Haton founded a Champagne House in 1920 and today they are among the top producers in the Champagne region of France. Careful blending of three grape varieties give Haton Brut Reserve a full body and generous style with citrus and stone fruit flavors and a gentle touch of spice and a complex and persistent finish. Of course, this House also offers an excellent Rosé filled with supple flavors of strawberries with citrus and peach on the creamy and generous finish.
No matter what you drink for the holiday, make sure to use this Valentine’s Day as an excuse to pop some corks . There’s no better way to celebrate. And no better time to drink those sparklers.
Not into sparkling wine? Don’t worry, we have the perfect wine and liqueurs for you.
What better wine to highlight Valentine’s Day than Natale Verga Love Rosso blend? Hailing from Italy’s Veneto region (the home of Romeo & Juliet… the love connection), this red is based on the Corvina grape, one of the key components in Valpolicella and Amarone. Loaded with ripe cherry fruit and hints of licorice and sage, this wine is juicy upfront, but finishes dry. Try it with any number of Italian dishes. It works especially well with spaghetti and meatballs… Lady and the Tramp, anyone?
Indulge your sweet tooth with these classic treats.
Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- 1-2 bags semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Butter or butter substitute (solid at room temperature)
- 1-2 packages strawberries
- Prepare a couple of plates and cover with wax paper.
- Make a double-boiler by putting water in a small to medium-size sauce pan. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer. Putting a heat-safe bowl over the sauce pan and pour chocolate chips into the bowl – making sure no water gets into the bowl. Stir consistently until smooth.
- If chocolate stiffens, add a teaspoon of butter and let it melt into the chocolate while stirring. Do this until the chocolate smooths out.
- Then turn the heat off and using potholders, remove the bowl of melted chocolate.
- Wash and dry your strawberries. Dip each one in the melted chocolate and place onto wax paper.
- Let chocolate set and harden by putting in the refrigerator.
Layered Cake with Strawberries & Whipped Topping
- Make or buy a chocolate cake (from scratch, from a box, or buy it already made).
- Cool whip (or a whipped topping of your choice)
- fresh strawberries.
- Buy a chocolate cake or make your own, letting it cool completely.
- Wash and slice fresh strawberries.
- Layer chocolate cake, alternating between cake, whipped topping and sliced strawberries.
For those with food allergies, certain supermarkets carry, gluten free, allergen free cake mixes and whipped topping.
Let us know what you are making, pairing and/or enjoying this Valentine’s Day. Tag us on Instagram @Kappys!